We took the kids camping over Veteran's Day weekend. We left after church and headed to Jones Lake State Park. We got to the park just before 6pm. SO setting up camp in the dark was an adventure. J was in charge of the tent, and I got dinner going. We were supposed to have foil dinners, but guess who forgot the foil. Yeah that's right, it's tricky to eat that when the main cooking agent is missing. What else are you to do when plans go awry? IMPROVISE. I used the skillet and we had foil-less, foil dinners. I got the veggies going, and added in the meat. The next step- seasonings. Add a dash of marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil, whochestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, Lil' M didn't want to miss out on the seasoning department, so she added some spice of her own to the pot- SAND. UGG, well, I tried to get out as much sand as possible, but those grains get everywhere. Needless to say, she wasn't allowed near the cooking again. It was freezing cold- not quite, but close- and we had a great time. Monday, we woke up and had pancakes and oj for breakfast. We took a "hike" on one of the trails, and went out on a fishing pier. B and M were afraid of falling in the cold water. The lake water was a reddish hue up close and it was beautiful. We headed back to camp for lunch- panini- and a needed nap. After lunch, we hung out at camp and read from Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nyhm and Robinson Crusoe. The kids made sand angels and dug in the sand. The kids loved it. They got to see 5 lizards, which I think was the highlight of the trip. It was so nice not having the distractions of the world around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Love the Camping story! Going ice-fishing with the Scouts on Saturday, I think you inspired me to take some pre-prepared food =)
Post a Comment