Saturday, April 19, 2008

Down On The "Farm"

What do you get when you have a pregnant cow and a courious 6 year old boy?  A wonderful learning experience. 

Nana has  a 2 year old Jersy/Angus milk cow, Belle.  The neighbor’s Angus bull jumped the fence and well, you know, now we have a pregnant cow.  Belle had bagged out (udder got bigger), and Nana asked me to watch Belle because she should be calving soon.  M wanted to help out, so everyday we’d go out and look for Belle.  Nothing was happening, and M was getting frustrated.  He’s not know for great patience.  One Wednesday afternoon, I hadn’t seen Belle all day.  I told M we needed to check on Belle because I couldn’t see her.  We went out to the back pasture near some trees and saw Belle laying on the ground.  Next to her was the cutest baby calf.  He had just been born!  The calf hadn’t stood up yet.  Maxwell was so excited to see the calf.  He wanted to know if the calf was a cow or a bull.  The calf stood up, and this is how the conversation went.

M:  "Is is a bull or a girl cow?"
Mom (as I'm looking for man parts):  "It's a bull!"
M:  "How do you know?"
Mom: "Well, he has testicles."
M:  "I have those too."
Mom:  "Yes you do, that's what makes you a boy."
M:  "He's the same as me.  Cool!"



3 comments:

janaeg said...

Too cute... How fun though to share with the kids...

Dawn Hudson said...

That's pretty funny. I am glad you are posting again. I have been waiting and waiting and oh yeah waiting!! Can't wait until you guys come back, not to much longer.

Ivy & Mae said...

funny!