Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Parties


My ward's Christmas Party was Saturday night.  We had Christmas in Nauvoo (circa 1843).  I've been so busy with the preperations for that and the Enrichment Night Progressive dinner that was on Dec 6.  This blog has been last on my list of "things to do," but I decided I do need to let everyone know what's been happening.  The Progressive dinner was fun, and I enjoyed being able to talk to the sisters in the ward.  In years past, we went around to different houses of the sisters in our ward.  But this year many women in the ward have husbands that are deployed.  We went, instead, from room to room in the building.  Our appitizers were in the Santa's Workshop (the YW room).  In the cultural hall aka Winter wonderland, we had dinner and a gift exchange.  Finally, we had our spiritual program and desserts in the Primary room (Bethlehem).  We used a program I found on homemakingcottage.com titled "The Women Who Knew Christ."  
The ward Christmas Party turned out beautifully.  I never fully appreciated the amount of work that goes into the Ward Activities.  My hat's off to the Ward Activity Chairperson.  I fell into the lead roll this year by default.  Our Chairperson went out of town for Christmas, and since I'm the Co-Chair,  I ended up taking the lead.  J helped me out so much.  The committee decided to have 5 stores (The Red Brick Store, The Tinsmith, Scovil Bakery,  Printing Office, and a Quilt Shoppe) from Nauvoo, with each store "sponsered" by an auxillary.  The Red Brick Store was headed by the Primary, and they handed out stick candy.  The Elders Quorum lead out the Tinsmith, where children could make tin-punched ornaments.  At the Bakery we had gingerbread men for people to decorate with help from the YM/YW.  The Missionaries had printed materials to hand out, and we Christmas cardsthe members could sign for our ward missionary at the Printing Office.  Felt ornaments were decorated by children at the Quilt Shoppe, with help from the Relief Society.  

    
        


We then had a turkey dinner (turkey, gravey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, mixed veggies, sweet potato soufle, and dressing).  After dinner came the program.  The youth did a supurb job with "A Christmas Carole" rap.  It was so entertaining.  After Brother Bangeter read a "Christmas Orange,"  Santa came to visit the children and gave each an orange.  I'm so grateful that people stepped in and helped with whatever I needed them to do.  It turned out beautifully, and was a huge success.

6 comments:

Anica said...

I'm so glad you posted about these parties. You have done a lot of work lately and a great job with planning both parties. They were both a great success. Thank you for all that you did!! APenrod

Dawn Hudson said...

Wow,
You did a great job!! I bet you are glad it's all over!! So much fun, yet so much work. It was good seeing you last night. I can never get enough of the Butikofers...... ;)

Dawn Hudson said...

Dang it! My first post didn't show up! Now I have to remember what i said...ummm
Wow, you did a great job!! So much fun, yet so much work. i bet everyone had a good time. It was nice to see you last night. The Hudson's can never get enough of the Butikofer's! ;)

I think that was it. I like all the pictures, looks great!

Dawn Hudson said...

Oh yeah you have to approve ha ha ha I thought I just did it again!!! he he he

janaeg said...

I wish that I could have been there to help out and attend, these sound like lots of fun. These are times when I miss the old ward. :-)

Kristin and Jay said...

Hey susannah! Holy cow, how long has it been? I am so glad you found us! What have you been up to? You have such a cute little family. You married someone from Rigby right? Anyways I am glad I can keep up with your life now, isn't blogging great!