Jessie and I had a night away to Liverpool at the beginning of the month. A missionary that served in Huntingdon about 2 years ago got married and we went to his wedding. It was so fun to see Joseph and his lovely bride Vanessa. Jessie and I sat next to three lovely sisters that are friends of Joseph. After we came home, we found out that these ladies are cousins of some of our friends from church here in Huntingdon. How crazy is that??? I couldn't have asked for better company during the reception.
We arrived on Friday and had an evening to tour the city. We chose to take a Beatles Tour Cab and see the sights that inspired the FabFour and many of their songs. Liverpool is a beautiful city.
Paul McCartney's Childhood Home
Strawberry Fields Forever
I spy with my little eye Beatles (in the mortar)
For dinner we went down to the Prince Albert dock to eat at a restaurant there. Also on the dock are two museums- a Maritime Museum and a Slave Museum. As Jessie and I made our way to the dock, I couldn't help but think about what feelings were going through the hearts and minds of the many immigrants and slaves that came through the port town. Many of my ancestors made their way to America through the docks of Liverpool. Were they looking off the decks of the ships thinking of the exciting adventure ahead of them while at the same time mourning the loss of the loved ones being left behind? What about those who were running away from family? Then there were the slaves coming through here and their thoughts and dreams of freedom. What was their life going to be like? How and where were their families? It was almost as if the spirits of those people were on the docks.
Trunk Sculpture for all those who have passed through Liverpool




No comments:
Post a Comment