Monday, September 24, 2007

Fondant Fun






Growing up, my mom decorated all our birthday cakes, and even our wedding cakes.  I thought it was such wonderful and neat thing to have such a talented mom.  Now that I'm a mom, I'm carrying on the tradition.  I make and decorate all our kids birthday cakes.  I've learned how to make butter cream frosting, whipped cream frosting (my favorite), and now I've learned how to make fondant.  Yes, you can make fondant, and it's much cheaper than buying it from the store.
I went to the What's Cooking America website and followed their recipe.  I found that 2 lbs of sugar was too much, so I changed the 
recipe. Here's the recipe:

Marshmallow fondant
One Package mini marshmallows
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 Tbsp water
3/4 C Crisco- in a bowl you can dig into

In a microwave safe bowl, our in the marshmallow and water.  Heat in 30 second increments until the marshmallows have melted, stirring between each interval.  Pour in 3/4 of the package of powdered sugar.  Mix slightly.  Grease a counter and hands quite well.  Pour the marshmallow/powdered sugar mix onto the counter.  This gets to be quite sticky.  Knead the marshmallow mixture like you would bread dough until a uniform and elastic ball is made.  If it gets to be too sticky, add more Crisco to your hands.  If the fondant gets to be too dry, add some water one tablespoon at a time to reach the right consistency.   Cover with a thin layer of shortening and 
two layers of plastic wrap.  Place in a zip top bag, getting out as much air as possible, and
refrigerate over night.  This can be made about a week in advance.

To use, knead the refrigerated fondant on a surace sprinkled with corn starch until pliable.  Add some food coloring of your choice, and knead.  I wouldn't use the water based kind of tint.  The Wilton food coloring worked quite well.


Roll out to about 1/4 in thickness, and apply to a cake that has  a butter cream crumb coat.  Let your imagination run wild.  Don't be afraid to use more corn starch

I practiced on some small cakes.  I had envisioned grand and glorious cakes, made with perfection.  They didn't turn out quite like that, but it was fun playing with the decorating medium.  Maxwell and Blake even got into it and decorated one cake each.





No comments: